New Larsen Commander, Beta #8
January 18, 2005 by Leif Erik Larsen
Today (January 18 2005) Leif Erik Larsen has released
version 1.6 beta #8 of his popular GUI file manager and
command shell, Larsen Commander.
Larsen Commander is a powerful GUI file manager and command shell
with a traditional look and feel inspired by the classic Norton Commander.
It combines the best of two very different worlds; - the command line and
the file management panels. Both available at the same time, even in
parallel while one or more commands are running in the background!
Larsen Commander is available at
- Further implementation of ZIP file support. The internal viewer can now view files directly from ZIP files.
- Added various "Self Test" commands to the Help-menu. These are programatic tests of various parts of the Larsen Commander code. It is used to verify the stability of Larsen Commander on the target system. Users don't usually need to care about this. More tests are to be implemented in the future. These Self Test commands will probably be available in beta versions of Larsen Commander only.
- OS/2: "Delete to Trashcan" now works. (Puh, that was a hard one.) Requires XWorkPlace or some other trashcan extension, though. However, this will probably not work on Warp 3. If it does, please let me know.
- Added acknowledgements to the About-box.
- Internal text editor was still unable to open e.g. log-files that are open by other processes. Fixed.
- Ctrl+W did not always open the WPS Folder in the foreground.
- Holding Ctrl+R down sometimes causes exception "Workerthread already in action".
- Default width of the filename column was not always correctly calculated in FULL mode.
- GUI message GM_DISMISSDIALOG was not sent to child components of e.g. GTabbedPanel. Causing various problems with the options-dialog for option pages depending on that message. For instance, the file filter options was silently ignored. Fixed.
- "Free drive space" in info-panel and statusbar cell was never updated.
- Size of "small" files miscalculated by one byte.
- Attempt to move or copy a file that was already removed by some other application in the background was silently ignored. Now displays an error message with "Skip" and Abort" buttons, where "Skip" is the default.
- OS/2: Every time a file was dragged from LCmd over a window where DragText handles d&d, DragText gave a beep to indicate an error. Thanks to Rich Walsh for pointing out this bug.
- Windows: Listbox items painted at corrupt y-position when a horizontal scrollbar was visible.
- Unstable directory cache. E.g. Typing "cd attempt" could match while "cd att" did not match. This is now fixed and speed optimized.
- Windows: Thin border around current selected file item was sometimes painted with a dotted line.
- Dramatically improved the speed of reloading filename items when current file panel directory contains a huge number of files and at least some of them was tagged/marked.
- Further implementation of ZIP file support. Command "Calculate Dir Size" now works within ZIPs.
- Polished the file delete progress dialog somewhat.
- Improved exception handling in background worker threads.