DFSee version 8.05 released today
August 13, 2006 by Jan van Wijk
DFSee version 8.05 has been released today.
This version extends the powerful HEX/ASCII sector editor to work directly
on (binary) files as well, keeping the size the same.
> From the operating system level, just use a command like:
DFSOS2 edit somefile.bin
Cloning disks with bad-sectors is improved to allow MUCH faster operation,
and will be enhanced even more in the next versions.
Searching for files in most filesystems has been made a lot faster too,
using several enhancements to the FIND command.
Several smaller improvements like new menu-items have been made and a few
bugs and inconsistencies have been fixed ...
DFSee is a very powerful disk-utility with disk partitioning, filesystem
and disk analysis, file recovery, UNDELETE for HPFS, JFS, and NTFS,
resizing, imaging and cloning.
More details at:
Direct download links from the DFSee website:
Note: Most of these can also be downloaded using '805'
instead of the generic '8xx' version number
Or from the HOBBES website:
Most important functional changes since 8.03:
- MOVE Added 'Smart' checkbox for much faster operation
- CLONE Added -skipbads:nnn option, fast bad-sector cloning
- CLONE Reset active store on Escape or a failure too!
- CLONE/IM Show number of bad-sectors in progress status too
- EDIT Add Ctrl-E to erase edited item to a hex value or
- EDIT fn HEX/ASCII binary sector edit specified filename
- FAT FS Detect unmapped clusters, inconsistent bootsector
- FILEFIND FAT, fixed finding files with extensions like *.c
- FILEFIND menu dialog, new 'verbose' checkbox, default FAST
- FILIFIND NTFS, speedup MFT-record search using speedstep 2
- FIND Speedstep mode using -i:n option, skip n sectors
- FIND dlg Add 'Step' field for the -i:Speedstep option
- FIXBOOT FAT, added bootcode type 'W = Win-9x on FAT16'
- FIXBOOT NTFS create record from template if no spare
- FIXPBR Disallow FIXPBR in FDISK mode for safety
- FS FAT Fixed trap if the bootsector was a valid NTFS
- IMAGE Exact image size is kept the same on writing
- MENU Added 'reselect disk' to FS menus; part to FDISK
- MENU Reworded NEWMBR submenu text, better style :-)
- MENU Added: 'Edit - > File, Binary edit' to edit files
- Menu Edit always starts with 1-sector items
- PART Reworded cylinder-alignment messages for clarity
- PART Pick-up correct FAT32 label from root directory
- PART WARNING on LVM/JFS with DLAT but no BBR info sector
- PSAVE Include unformatted bootsectors in .PDx file
- RESIZE FAT, fixed maximum size in dialog in some cases
- SLT Faster fileinfo on JFS/NTFS/HPFS, no alloc check
- STARTUP No 'GETDEVICEPARAMS failed' messages anymore, USB
- STORE Added exact image-size in bytes to internal info
- STORE Fixed store-nr display: Store #, added imagesize