FixTool 1.09 Update Available.
March 15, 2002 by Bob St.John
eCS Fixtool 1.09.0 has been uploaded to the eComStation software
download database. In addition to fixing some problems, it provides a
means for upgrading an eCS GA system to the equivalent of the IBM
Convenience Package 2.
Note that the fixtool is now packaged in 3 files, ecsupdt.zip containing
the fixtool executables, ecsutil containing the utilities used by the
fixtool, and ssi4501.zip containing the files used to apply the updates
from Serenity Systems. Please read the ecsupdt.txt file for full
Some highlights are:
- Supports the installation of IBM Convenience Package Fixpack 2.
- Provides for updating of IBM Peer to the 8605 level using the
- Provides install support for TCP/IP 4.3.
- The larger updates, Fixpack 2 and the Peer update, are separated
into multiple files to facilitate downloading.
- Allows the application of Java updates to a running system and
substantially reduces the size of the backup file.
- Updates the IBM supplied E.EXE to prevent writing of an eof
character ('1a'x) when saving a file.
- Modifies, if necessary, Netscape parameters to prevent display of
binary files in the browser.
- Dialog Manager support is now dynamic and the dlgc001?.zip files are
no longer required.
- Includes a version of unzip.exe that handles zip files compressed
with the "shrink" method.
- Backs up any file to be patched and retains the original timestamp
on any patched file.
- Tests for and uses R/W LAN drives for work space, if appropriate.
IBM Senior Systems Engineer (retired)