DFSee 8.12 released
March 13, 2007 by Jan van Wijk
[Moderator note: This post should have gone out on 3/5/2007 but was inadvertently missed. I apologize for the delay. ]
DFSee 8.12 has just been released.
Menu additions, display enhancements, (NTFS) resizing refinements and several small fixes and updates.
Some info on creating a bootable USB-stick with OS/2 and DFSee (with a link to more info) is now part of the DFSee HOWTO at:
DFSee is a very powerful disk-utility with disk partitioning, filesystem and disk analysis, file recovery, UNDELETE for HPFS JFS, and NTFS, resizing, imaging, cloning and sector editing.
More details at:
Direct download links from the DFSee website:
Note: Most of these can also be downloaded using '812'
instead of the generic '8xx' version number
Or from the HOBBES website:
Most important functional changes since 8.11:
- CD Display current working directory without an error
- CHECK NTFS, fix alloc error messages on split-tree DIR
- CR dlg Fix size=1 sticking after a BMGR partition is made
- FORMAT Use drive locking during format (on OS2 and Windows)
- LOCK Support lock-by-driveletter for large floppy format
- LVM dlg Update of driveletters works again (bug in 8.11)
- MAP Fixed display of driveletter line with 'map * +'
- MENU Display - > Other partition views; fixed, better help
- MENU Mode=FDISK - > Set Partition - > Not active, clear flag
- NTFS Recognize Windows Vista NTLDR sectors (named BOOTMGR)
- PART LVM column aligned if > 98 cols, using max 114 cols
- PART -b Align freespace lines for Linux in its default table
- RESIZE Allow '*' for default/maximum size in the dialog
- RESIZE NTFS, avoid empty bitmap extent on expanding the FS
- RESIZE NTFS, avoid extra bitmap flushing after updating it
- STORE Better understandable store description texts
- WIPE -V Perform an all-sector verify by reading back
Known bug (in version 8.11 and 8.12)
When creating LVM/JFS volumes (type 35) with DFSee, do NOT check both:
( ) Create NEW mode, clear existing bootsector and old LVM info
[x] Include LVM information
Since that currently interferes with creating the extra info. This problem is under investigation and wil be solved in 8.13. Using either one of them is OK, but not both at the same time.
Jan van Wijk, author of DFSee; http://www.dfsee.com