Mr. Message (AIM/ICQ client) update 1/17/2008
January 18, 2008 by Marty Amodeo
++ From the VOICE OS/2-eCS News Service http://www.os2voice.org ++
From: Marty Amodeo
Mr. Message for OS/2 is an instant messenger client which is capable of
communicating over AOL's Instant Messenger network using the OSCAR protocol
(used in the Win32 AIM clients, jBuddy, Pidgin, Kopete, ICQ, and a variety
of other clients).
It has been updated with the following new features:
* Added options for each event to control if they cause the Mr. Message
IM window to jump to the top and/or steal the window focus.
* Added an event "ticker" window (like a stock ticker) optionally
notifying you when users sign on/off, you receive a message, or any
* Ticker font, colors, speed, opacity, and location are fully
customizable through drag and drop operations or settings dialog
* Added standard File/Open dialogs for selecting which sounds and REXX
scripts to use for Mr. Message events. (Click the folder icon on the
* Added four new event types which can be used to play sounds, launch
scripts, display in the ticker window, and other actions.
* Buddy sets Away status
* Buddy is back from Away status
* Profile message was retrieved (for REXX scripts only)
* Away message was retrieved (for REXX scripts only)
* Added a new REXX command to display custom messages in the new ticker
window. See ReadMe.REXX for more details.
* Added new REXX commands to modify profile and away messages. You can
use these in conjunction with the new events related to profile and away
message retrieval to perform national language character conversions so
they appear correctly in the Mr. Message GUI. See ReadMe.REXX for more
* Added a profile/away message filter sample REXX scripts to perform
substitutions for AIM macros (%n = username, %d = date, %t = time).
Assign these to the appropriate events to activate them.
It also has the following fixes and changes:
* Event names in the settings window are now alphabetized.
* Buddy list filtering is now only done after all buddies have been added
at startup to save some time.
* Mr. Message will now wait 30 seconds after a session starts before
registering notifications that updates have happened in online/offline
* Changed so that profile messages are still retrieved and displayed when
a user is away. Both will display in the pop-up window.
* Fixed a race condition during login which could cause login failures by
listening to the wrong TCP/IP socket if the receiver thread takes too
long to start up.
* Fixed display of profiles or away messages that are too long and don't
have any spaces in them to break lines. Window size will be hacked down
to 40 characters now instead of extending off into "infinity".
* Fixed window focus when buddy list first appears so that mouse-over
popups will appear without clicking on the buddy list.
* Fixed all cases where a user appears to be online when they are offline.
* Fixed a small memory leak of the settings information for each session
when the settings are unchanged from the global settings.
* Cleaned up some duplicated code for better maintenance.
* Informational popup windows and tool tip colors have been changed to
make them easier to read.
To download, please visit the official Mr. Message web page:
New features will continue to be added with each release. :-)