DFSee 12.3 released; Performance improvements
February 01, 2015 by firstname.lastname@example.org
DFSee version 12.3 has been released, with performance improvements and fixes.
It is a MINOR release, with several small fixes and enhancements, but
most of all, a HUGE performance improvement for file recovery.
Searching for normal/deleted files has been sped up by a factor of 100
or more for most filesystems, by restricting the search to areas known
to contain directory information (including Inodes, Fnodes, MFT-records)
Instead of searching for several hours on a large volume, it will find
all the files in existing directories within a few minutes.
Using the '-d-' option or 'Search Outside Dir/Fnode/Inode/MFT area too'
checkbox will revert to the older much slower search method, but will find
ANY file, even if it is not inside the currently present directory areas.
DFSee is a very powerful disk-utility with disk partitioning,
filesystem and disk analysis, some file recovery and UNDELETE
and smart imaging or cloning of partitions or complete disks.
More details at:
Direct download links from the DFSee website:
Or from the HOBBES website:
or (after processing):
Functional changes since 12.2
- CR: avoid rounding UP by 1 MiB for 1st primary or a logical (64/32 geometry)
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: Speed up SPACE search with Rsn2Lsn translation cache
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: on EXFAT: '-d-' option: outside DIR space too
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: on EXFAT: Automatic SLT build for fullpath lookup
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: on FAT/HPFS, on-demand create FIND space (not on open)
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: on FAT12/16/32 '-d-' option: outside DIR space too
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: on FAT12/16/32: Automatic SLT build for fullpath lookup
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: on HPFS: '-d-' option: outside FNODE space too (slower!)
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: on JFS (QFI): Automatic SLT build for fullpath lookup
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: on JFS: Integrated QFI (Quick Find Inodes) for consistency
- DELFIND/FILEFIND: on NTFS: '-d-' option: outside MFT space too (slower!)
- DFSDISK (bsfind) recognise JFS superblocks on 64/32 (1 MiB) geometries
- EXFAT: Implement directory iteration to allow faster (SPACE) searching
- FIND: allow search restricted space (ALLDIRS) only, for faster filesearch
- FINDSPACE command to display filefind/delfind SPACE areas, when known
- FS: Init Filesystem, ignore empty 'FSINIT' cmd after EXPORT/IMPORT list
- ISO: Fix deliverable ZIP files to include the 'dfsi*' executables again
- LVM Dialog: Fixed help to show the context sensitive LVM dialog help
- MENU: FileFind/DelFind dialog enhanced with checkbox 'outside DIR space'
- MENU: FileFind/DelFind dialog enhanced with persistent search argument
- UI: Allow up to five checkboxes on value-prompt and DIR-selection dialogs
DFSee Home: www.dfsee.com; Jan van Wijk; Author of DFSee - email@example.com