December 16, 2002 by Aaron Lawrence
I've released a new version of NewView. It's faster, has some layout fixes, more options, and many bug fixes. See Release Notes below for more details.
Please visit my homepage and email me if it works for you. I need positive feedback as well as negative! Thanks.
What is NewView?
NewView is a replacement for View.exe, the original
OS/2 help viewer.
Major enhancements are:
- New user interface (split window)
- Select and copy direct from window
- Easy to use global (all files) search
- Remembers size & position
- Most recently used files list
- Smooth scrolling display
- Current topic always highlighted in contents
- Can go forward as well as back in history
- Options for fonts, colours and more
- Annotate help files
- Fully resizeable
- Restructured to keep file open and only load things
- Ignore duplicate directories in help paths
- Other optimisations.
- Use conventional Ctrl+FKey shortcuts for topic
windows; allow Alt+FKey shortcuts to work properly
(manipulating main app window).
- Allow windows containing child windows to be
manipulated from keyboard
e.g. PMREF function topics, left pane.
- Page up/down works when cursor showing!
- Horizontal scroll when needed to show cursor
- :lines. tag does not wrap
- Improved wrapping behaviour e.g. in lists
- Smarter margin sizing
- No longer bold links to keep layout correct
- Improved fixed font selection.
- Make all menus use system menu font
- Fixed: text background fixed at white.
- Added buttons to restore default fonts and colors
- Hourglass cursor while decoding topic
- Customisable colors for notes and search highlights
- Notes now green (default)
- Removed icons from buttons since they do not work
with different colour schemes and are not compatible
with enhancers like Styler/2
- Cosmetic & spelling fixes
- Restore correct color after links, highlights
- Search highlights are now text background for
- Search highlights can be enabled or disabled from
the View menu
- Added filename completion to the file dialog.
- SHow file titles in the file dialog.
- Show network drive paths in file dialog
- Getting ready for online help mode.
- Don't open new copies of windows if the topic is
already being displayed (regardless of ViewPort)
- Fix occasional crash when mousing between NV and
- File - New Window (Ctrl-N; Add Note is now Ctrl-M)
- NewView help appears in top right of screen, doesn't
- Fix crash when shutting down with NewView's own
help file open
- If no file specified at startup, by default loads
the NewView help file (switch off in Options)
- Removed unimplemented History item.
- Fix crash double clicking in empty topic window
- Fix restoring of vertical scroll while e.g. going back
- Fix huge memory usage on images > 256 colors
- Ensure Notes are reloaded in a usable state
(ie. clickable, viewable). However, they still are
- Fix some problems with child windows (RXTT30.INF):
Parent is never changed after window created. Don't crash.