jEdit - Open Source programmer's text editor
September 27, 2002 by Peter Lueersen
jEdit is a programmer's text editor written in Java, being developed by Slava Pestov and others.
Some of jEdit's features include:
* Built-in macro language (BeanShell).
* Extensible plugin architecture, with more than 60 plugins available.
* Plugins can be downloaded and installed from within jEdit using the "plugin manager" feature.
* Syntax highlighting for 70 languages.
* Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
* Auto-indenting of source code.
* Folding (indent and 'marker' based).
* Word wrap.
* Unlimited undo/redo.
* Highly configurable and customizable.
* Every other feature, both basic and advanced, you would expect to find in a text editor.