eCo Software newsletter, week 23 (ACPI, eSchemes, Personal Cards
June 15, 2006 by Eugene Gorbunoff
++ From the VOICE OS/2-eCS News Service http://www.os2voice.org ++
From: Eugene Gorbunoff
eComStation and OS/2 Warp platform are growing evolutionary. The current task is to attract new users. If we want achieve this, we should create more exceptional software based on particular technologies of our operating system.
The previous few weeks was dedicated to development of base drivers, update of WorkPlace shell applications, creation of auxiliary utilities and support of users.
New and updated drivers:
* New driver "ACPI snooper" is under construction. It is aimed to reconfigure IRQs, reload ACPI tables, etc. -- internal beta-version
* Updated Power management driver APM.ADD v1.1 (requires ACPI.PSD v2.9)
** Improved batteries support; APM.ADD is able to switch computer to S1 state (weak sleep state)
** Download the driver from eComStation beta-zone
** Post bug-reports to ACPI forum
Stable version of eSchemes
* eSchemes is a system which allows change system colors, icons and WPS properties via scheme files (http://ecomstation.ru/eschemes)
* Fresh eSchemes 1.26 is published in the eComStation beta-zone (http://betazone.ecomstation.nl)
* Whatsnew: improved stability, WPS Hangs was fixed, Using external Scheme class.
* We created scheme file format access SOM library. It can be used from any SOM-ready application (ObjectREXX, C, C++).
* IconThemes and old schemes from Scheme palette are converted to eSchemes format.
* A lot of various fixes in eSchemes editor.
* More languages are supported.
Personal cards manager product is approaching to public beta-testing
* More internal beta versions
* Here is the screenshot of Personal Cards Manager address book (http://ecomstation.ru/projects/wpperson/pics/PCM-AddressBook-20060615b.png)
* "General network utilities" (set of graphical tcp/ip utilities) are approaching to public beta-testing
* New "Firewall ports setup", internal beta
* SOM Compiler Pascal Emitter, several internal alpha versions
eCo Software support service
* The database of compatible hardware consists of 870 reports. Post your report about supported video-adapters (http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php)
* eComStation/Rus FAQ is updated: more records in section for Developers (http://ru.ecomstation.ru/ecsfaq/faq.php?idc=14, russian text)
* ACPI FAQ is updated (http://ecomstation.ru/projects/acpitools/?action=faq)
Collaboration with other developers:
* One more update of WarpOverlay! video-overlay from LightElf
* To support our multimedia applications we initiated the development of CRC (Central Remote Control). The program gathers events from remote controls, notebook buttons, USB-keyboard multimedia buttons and translates
them to commands for multimedia applications. Please, download test utility
(http://ecomstation.ru/projects/ecocrc/download/usb-mmkbd-test.zip) if you have USB keyboard with multimedia keys and run some tests (by Dmitry Frolov)
How to help to eCo Software:
* eSchemes is a eComStation 2.0 component. Nevertheless, it requires your support. You can purchase sponsor units in the Mensys shop (http://www.mensys.net/eSchemes). Please mention the purpose of the payment.