VOICE Newsletter: Associate Editor wanted
May 16, 2007 by Christian Hennecke
The VOICE Newsletter is looking for a new Associate Editor.
Over the last year, vocational and personal issues have reduced the time that our Editor-in-Chief could donate to the VOICE Newsletter to a considerable extent several times. The rest of the editorial staff has already been short on spare-time for a longer while. Since contact with authors and the first preparation of articles has almost exclusively been handled by him and nobody else is able to build the final issue, issues have been
delayed -- in case of the latest issue by two months. This situation needs to be improved.
We are looking for a new Associate Editor who can help with the communication with authors, preparation of articles, and coordination of the team on a regular basis, and who builds an issue in case the Editor-in-Chief is not available.
The requirements for the position are as follows:
* Persistence: We need a commitment to the job for a longer period. There is no use in training someone who's going to leave again two months later.
* Reliability: We rely on you getting your work done, and done correctly, before certain deadlines. Of course, there always is the possibility of things getting in the way--in such cases tell us about it in a timely manner.
* Grammar and spelling knowledge: As many articles aren't written by native speakers, proof-reading and editing is required.
* XHTML/CSS skills: Knowledge of which tags there are and what a CSS class is appropriate.
* Basic OS/2 and REXX knowledge: You should be able to run programs via the command line and adapt existing REXX scripts to your system.
The job consists of:
* Encouraging people to write articles if, e.g., you see interesting messages in OS/2 resources.
* Review of submitted articles, communication with authors regarding content, phrasing, and bylines.
* Formatting articles according to our author guidelines.
* Possibly giving advise to the translation team, e.g., regarding idioms and jargon.
* Building the final version of the VOICE Newsletter issue if other editors are not available. Compared to former times, the build process has been largely automated and become a lot easier. We would like to switch to using a CMS but due to time constraints that is not an option at the moment.
If you are interested, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.