March 06, 2003 by Aaron Lawrence
NewView now completely* replaces the OS/2 help system, including application online help (helpmgr.dll). When you press F1 in an application, you will now get NewView and you can as usual, select and copy from the window.
If you have problems with the online help mode, please supply the hlpmgr2.log from your boot drive (e.g. c:hlpmgr2.log). There are known problems with the OS/2 master help index and tutorial (see readme.txt).
NewView is a free replacement for the original OS/2 or eComStation online help system.
If you find NewView helpful, please email me and/or make a donation to support further development. It's nice to hear from you! See my web page for donation suggestions.
Major enhancements are:
- New user interface (split window)
- Select and copy direct from window
- Easy to use global (all files) search
- Remembers size & position
- Most recently used files list
- Smooth scrolling display
- Current topic always highlighted in contents
- Can go forward as well as back in history
- Options for fonts, colors and more
- Annotate help files
- Fully resizeable
- Help Manager completed (helpmgr.dll)
- First time window is centered.
- Added a /pos command line parameter
Specifies window position and size (see help)
- Center all dialogs
- Added URL in about box
- Show topic resource IDs in topic properties
- Default button and ESC in print dialog
- Fix crash after deleting bookmark
- Fix crash with certain menu fonts
- Fixed crash clicking in index!
- Fix crash after Save As (and other?) dialog!
- New icon courtesy Alessandro
* OK, Alessandro, so it doesn't properly replace viewdoc.exe ;)